Thursday, November 30, 2017

Week 14 Story Planning: Little Red Cap

Next week I want to create my own version of the story Little Red Cap from The Grimm Brothers' Children's and Household Tales translated by D.L. Ashliman (1998-2013). While taking notes over this story I had a few ideas to change it and make it my own story.

My first idea was to change the point-of-view from which the story is told. The Wolf would be telling the story, so the reader would see a more sympathetic side of the Wolf and maybe see his reasoning for his actions. He is a Wolf, so it's natural for him to behave the way he does in the story. He must do certain things to survive and to take care of his family. For all we know, he could have baby wolves back home.

My second idea was to flip the role of the villain and the victim. The Wolf would be going to visit his family, but on the way there he encounters some hunters who are trying to kill him. The hunters know how clever the Wolf is, and they try to outsmart him.

After researching this story, I found that the origin is in fact European. The specific country of origin of this story is Germany. I found the story along with other details at the website Lit2Go.

I found out an abundance of information about the original and early forms of the tale from Wikipedia. The earliest form of this story actually comes from French folklore. The story then was known as Le Petit Chaperon Rouge by Charles Perrault. This version, as well as some early versions, were more sinister than the newer versions. I find that very interesting, and I could possibly make my story more sinister to have more of a resemblance to the original tale.

Little Red Riding Hood
Source: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading, The Coffin-Lid, Part B

For part B of this last week I stuck with the Russian unit stories. My favorite story from this second part was titled The Coffin-Lid from R...