Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Reading Notes: Little Red Cap, Part A

For this week of reading, we read stories from the European Unit. I decided to read the Ashliman stories, and my favorite story from Part A was Little Red Cap. This story came from The Grimm Brothers' Children's and Household Tales translated by D.L. Ashliman (1998-2013) It's the classic story of Little Red Riding Hood that I was already familiar with that I first heard when I was a child. It had some minor differences than what I had heard because it is the story told from a European view, but most everything stayed the same.

If I were to retell this story I have two ideas in which I'd like to change it. My first idea would to be to tell the story from the Wolf's point-of-view and show the more sympathetic side of his character. He's the villain in the original story, so I would tell the new version in a way that they see that he is an animal who relies on eating others for the survival of him as well as his family.

My other idea would be to flip the roles of the victim and villain. The wolf would be traveling to help his sick grandmother. Before he leaves, his mother tells him to beware of the hunters who are out hunting for wolves. It would be a similar story, but the roles will be reversed. I will change a few details of course, to make it better fit the new version.

Little Red Riding Hood and the Wolf
Source: Wikimedia Commons 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading, The Coffin-Lid, Part B

For part B of this last week I stuck with the Russian unit stories. My favorite story from this second part was titled The Coffin-Lid from R...