Sunday, December 3, 2017

Reading: The Ingrates, Part A

For extra credit reading, I wanted to read the Italian stories. I selected the story titled The Ingrates from Italian Popular Tales by Thomas Frederick Crane (1885). I enjoyed this story because it had a simple lesson to it. It states that, "For who does good is ill rewarded, and who does evil is well rewarded."

If I were to change this story and create my own version I think I would want to make it a more modern version. I would change the characters to humans. A rich man who lived and worked in a rich community would become lost and find himself in a poor community. A sketchy, mean gang member  will mug him and tell him that he may just kill him. The rich man will plead or his life and reason with the gang member. He will ask him to ask other people around if he should be able to live.

They come across many individuals who reply with, "You're rich and don't face problems we do" or "You think you're better than us because you are rich". Finally the rich man pleads with a man to agree to let him live by bribing him with money. The man agrees and tells the gang member to let him live. When the man goes to get his promised money, he grabs it and is on his way home when he is robbed and killed in a drive by shooting.

City Streets
Source: Flickr
This story doesn't have a happy ending just like the original that I derived my ideas from. It's basically a simple story of not getting involved with the wrong people because you never know how it could turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading, The Coffin-Lid, Part B

For part B of this last week I stuck with the Russian unit stories. My favorite story from this second part was titled The Coffin-Lid from R...